Saturday, November 9, 2013

154/356: Voting

At the age of 30 I have finally voted for the first time.


Considering that we vote on something at least every 6 months, this should have happened a lot earlier. I really have no excuse for not doing it any earlier. We are lucky to have such a direct democracy and I should partake in it more often. 

This time I am voting because there is a vote on a bill that I feel very strongly about. The proposition is, to only allow the highest salary in a company to be 12 times of what the lowest salary in that company is. 

In general I think it is a good idea and I could support it, if it wasn't just Switzerland doing this. The high salary's, especially the one the bill wants to battle, are the management ones. Those employs are usually on the global market and the salary is not that high because the company's enjoy paying them that but because the market dictates them. That is capitalism at work my friends.
If Switzerland gets this law, the company's in Switzerland will have a disadvantage compared to the company's in other countries. So what will happen? The big company's will leave Switzerland and settle somewhere else. Bye bye Google, bye bye Nestle, etc. 

So all this bill will do, is to make the unemployment rate higher. At least this is what will happen in my opinion. So I am voting no. Of course everybody is entitled to their own opinion but I feel like this is a very bad idea. 

More power to the people, go vote!


ps: if you want to know more about how swiss democracy works, go here. There is a nice little video there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment