Monday, September 9, 2013

94/356: Milano

A short visit to Italy was just what I needed to round of my holidays.

I know that I have been to Milan before but from what I can remember I have only seen the train station so far and even then I didn't have time to look around. I was used to Swiss punctuality when it comes to trains and got caught off guard when my trains were late and I had to catch the next one.

This past weekend marked the first time on which I actually got to see a little of the city itself. It wasn't much though. A friend and I arrived around 6pm on Saturday evening and would be leaving again early next morning. The reason for this short visit will be in Post 95/356.

We walked from our hotel to the Duomo, had dinner and walked back again. That's about the extend of my visit to Milan. Still, there were plenty of firsts in those few hours. It was especially interesting to compare the Duomo to the Dom in Cologne. They are similar in size and took about the same amount time to build but the similarities end there. Where the Dom in Cologne is dark, brooding and rather depressing, the one in Milan is playful, bright and generally more cheerful.

Sadly I didn't get to experience the best part about Milan, the shopping. Next time I go I have to bring the time and money to shop till I drop. It is one of the fashion capitals of the world after all.

 The Duomo on the walk back from the restaurant.

 Frontal view of the Duomo.
 No idea but it looked cool.
 
 The plaza in front of the Duomo.
 
 
In Milan they tend to build very big buildings.

A little teaser for post 95/356.

No comments:

Post a Comment