Friday, September 27, 2013

113/356: Geocaching

Geocaching was what I did for the first time yesterday. It was awesome!

So what is geocaching? I'll just repost what it says on the homepage:
"Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location."

I am not too sure if this is actually harder that it sounds but from four caches that we looked for, we only found one. Even the one that was supposed to be the easiest, we didn't find. I can only guess that, once you have done it a few times, you get a feeling for where to look. 

Not all caches are just straight forward; go to coordinates and find it. For some you have to solve riddles that give you an idea where to look for the cache. One that we did (or tried), asked us to solve questions about bears and the answers were supposed to supply us with the right coordinates. We failed.

I am just really glad that we actually managed to find one and I don't have to admit total defeat to you all. Also sorry for the lack of pictures but I didn't want to give any cache locations away and because I didn't want to get interrupted by muggles, aka the uninitiated we went quite late.

You are supposed to be not to obvious about it because the caches might get destroyed or stolen by curious/bored teens and such. That little bit of secrecy makes it even cooler. Try finding a cache in the middle of busy Bern without being obvious about it...

This was not the last time that I will have done this!

No comments:

Post a Comment