Tuesday, January 21, 2014

223/356: Soboro Don

After quite a while, I went back to make a new Japanese dish.

I love the Japanese don (bowl) dishes. They are usually very fast and easy to make. Great for a weeknight. I keep discovoring more of these and I can't get enough. To make these I had two challenges though. I needed an onsen tamago and minced chicken meat. Seems it is not easy to find minced chicken. I had to do with chicken pressed into burgers. I am pretty sure it wasn't the best quality meat I could get but I had to do with what I found. Making the onsen tamago was not that hard either but took some time.

Onsen tamago are eggs that are poached inside their shells. I needed to "boil" the eggs at exactly 60-65 degrees Celsius for thirty minutes.  Although it proved challenging to find the right temperature on the stove, the most difficult part was to get it out of the shell in a piece. As you can see from the pictures, I failed on that part. But the second egg already went much better.

I really liked the soboro don and if I can find minced chicken that I don't have to question the quality of the meat, I will make it again.



No comments:

Post a Comment