Friday, January 3, 2014

208/356: Ice skating on the Bundesplatz

A day after the exhibition I got to do another cool thing.

Sunday marked the first day in about ten years that I went ice skating. What made this special was the fact that the ice rink is on the Bundesplatz which is right in front of the Bundeshaus. All of you which are not aware of what the Bundeshaus is, it is the seat of the Swiss Parlament.

I am not sure how long they have been doing this but this and last year they built a temporary ice rink that will stay there about two months. It is really cool to be able to skate right in the heart of the city. Also you only pay the rent for the skates and the rest is free. So if you bring your own skates, there is no cost at all.

Just before I arrived there (with some couchsurfers) there was a downpour of rain so we were divided if we should really go on the ice. It looked like you will be soaked if you fall just once. Because we were unsure, we decided to go for a hot chocolate first. There is a tent right beside the rink where you can have food and drinks.

As it turned out, they cleaned the ice after a while so of course we decided to do what we had come here for. We rented some skates (only 7.50.-) and proceeded to test our skating skills. I was quite surprised how well it went in my case. Considering the fact that it had been quite while since I stood on skates.

I can happily report that we had no broken bones or other major injuries. I think we were on the ice for about an hour when fatigue started to set in and we decided to go for another drink before we parted ways.
Being the dumbass I am, I had three other firsts that day which will not count because I had already done one. Considering I spend way too many days just tasting stuff, I should be more careful not to do so many things in one day. Oh well, sometimes it just can't be helped.






just kidding...

No comments:

Post a Comment