Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Welcome to Tassie

Welcome back everybody

Yes, true, again it's been a while since my last blog update but I have a reason for that. I spent the last 3 weeks or so in the beautiful city of Brisbane and there was no that much going on. It more or less rained the whole time I was there. I don't mean a drizzle every now and then but apocalyptic downpours. They say that the weather hasn't been that bad in 150 years. So even if I did feel like going out and explore the city and the surrounding area, I couldn't.

Why didn't I leave then you might ask? Well I had lovely company there and I wanted to spend my Christmas and new year not with a bunch of strangers but with exactly that lovely company.

The right moment to move on has eventually come though. I always knew that Tasmania is a must do on my trip and that's exactly where I am at. I fly here yesterday and was flabbergasted to find out that there is no rain here! On the downside the temperatures are about 15 degrees colder than on Australia's east coast. But hey, you can't have everything right? At least that gave me a good excuse to go shopping. Believe me, I have been craving to buy some new stuff for a while now and finally I got to do it. I got a brand new Jacket for hiking. And this is not just for show. I actually plan to get more active again than I have been the last few weeks.

I kicked my visit here off with a visit to the "Taste" a local food and wine festival. I stumbled upon this by pure chance. Sometimes, when travelling the world, you miss interesting events by a few days and sometimes you happen to be at the right place at exactly the right time. Today I visited Hobarts local Mountain Mt.Wellington annnd was already glad for the first time that I bought that jacket. Tomorrow I am going on a boat/bus trip to Bruny Island which is supposed to be amazing. The thing I am most excited about will start on Friday though.

On Friday I will leave Hobart and start a 5 day trip around the whole Island. We will visit all the places which I intended to visit here (YAY). Yeah it's a guided tour but in this case it's good. I don't need to worry about accommodation or transport which can be a real pain in the ass during high season.

Since I expect to see a lot I am pretty sure I will post often the next few days. I will visit amazing places and doing one post for a few of them wouldn't do them justice so I plan update at least every two days. Come back often!

Enough of the talk... picture time!
Goodbye Brisbane......
.... some things I will not miss.....
... other things I will miss!
Just in case you don't know where Tasmania is, I included the above picture. Fear my picture editing skills
"Taste" foodfestival..... and what do you see there? Yes, "Rösti Chalet". The swiss are everywhere my friend.
So there is a gourmet wine and food festival going on and what do I eat? Sausages and dark ale of course! YUMMY! It felt good having a good sausage...been a while.
Dad, you should come here one day!
View of Hobart from Mt.Wellington
Such a different scenery from Australia's mainland.
I liked this pic.. do you?

That's all for now my friends. Expect more soon!

(btw. if you have experience with Canon DSLR's --> I am currently looking into buying a wideangle lens.. help?)

No comments:

Post a Comment