Monday, January 17, 2011

Australian Open (part 1?)

G'day and welcome to my (first?) Australian Open special.

To time my visit in Melbourne with the Australian Open ( A major Tennis Tournament for anybody not in the know) was actually a coincidence. I knew the tournament is around this time of year but I didn't know if I would make it. That I actually did is just bloody awesome!

The tournament officially started today but I was already there yesterday. Why? Well because Roger (Federer, again for all of you not in the know), bless him, organized a charity game to raise money for the victims of the floods in Queensland. As soon as I heard this, I knew I wanted to be there. You get two for one. You have a fun afternoon and at the same time your money goes to a good cause. Also considering the ticket for this was only 20 AUD there is really no discussion needed. I guess 15'000 other people thought the same because the event was sold out in 15min. I know why I was sitting in front of my computer with my finger hovering over the "F5" button even 10min before the tickets went on sale.

I am glad to report that it was a great afternoon in a sold out Rod Laver Arena and that "we" raised over 1,5 million dollars. You may pat me on the back!

Today the real tournament started and I dunno how but by a lucky fluke I found out pretty early when Roger would be playing, so I was also able to get a ticket for his game today. The great thing about this ticket was, that I would not only get to see his game, but that it would also enable me to see all the other Swiss players. I think getting access to the Rod Laver arena from 11 am to 7 pm (3 games) and having access to all the other games going on, on the event grounds at the price of 67 AUD is very very fair!

So beside seeing Roger play (and destroy his Opponent 6-1, 6-1, 6-3), I also saw Timea Bacsinszky (sadly lost 6-0, 6-3) and Stanislav Wawrinka (also won 7-6(3), 6-4, 6-4) play. Needless to say I am a happy guy tonight. And oh, if you have never heard of Timea, your probably not alone.

I will be at the AO again tomorrow with some friends, but just with a Ground Pass (29 AUD). This gives me access to all the courts except the biggest two. I am there to have some fun drinking with friends. Maybe I will get another ticket to see Roger in the second or third round.. I don't know about that yet though. I have seen him once now so I can tick that of my "to do before I do" list.

Please enjoy the pictures and sorry for the lack of "action" pics. I made plenty but my camera lens hasn't got that much of a zoom so you can hardly see something or they are just blurry. Actually I think I know what they are all blurry but since I just thought of that while writing the blog, it's a bit too late to correct that ehy?

Yes ladies and gentelmen, this blog entry is all about tennis... well you probably know this by now.
to be exact we are at the Australian Open in Melbourne. The first grand slam tournament of the year and for all of those who do not know it: there are 4 grand slams every year --> Australian Open, French Open, Wimbeldon (England) and the US Open.
It really is a pleasure to see a sell out Rod Laver arena and even better when Roger and Rafa are playing.. but confusing though that they are on the same side of the net and playing two women!?
Look at all the big names on the court. Was a good time seeing them fool around.
Roger and Rafa, still weird to see them on the same side of the net.
Timea, still in good spirit.. she would not be so for much longer.
Roger's entrance to his very fast and clear victory
Whenever Roger turns up, this happens.
Hemingway had the best time ever!
Stan the man! He didn't play as well as Roger, but then, who does? I only saw about 1h of his game though.. why? Well after 6h of nonstop tennis it was getting a bit boring AND I was hungry!

Stay tuned, I am sure some more awesome stuff is just around the corner!

No comments:

Post a Comment