Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Bruny Island

Hey you! Yes you!

I am a man of my word and because of that, you are already reading another of my posts. This *gasp* just a day after my last one. Let's get on with it then, shall we?

What was your adventure today Simon? I'll tell you! I did a day trip to Bruny Island. This lovely little piece of land is just of the coast from Hobart. Why did I go there? The posters looked good. True story!

The day started early and with rain. I wasn't very optimistic that my 150 AUD were properly invested. I hoped on the bus though and set of with hope in my heart.

Long story short, it was a very nice day. They put us in boats with 900hp and blasted us along the south coast of Bruny Island. The cliffs were very impressing and the seals ummm well they were seals. We were told we might even see Dolphins or Whales. This sadly did not happen. We did chase an Albatross though. I don't exactly know why, cause to me it was just a rather medium sized bird. The other people seemed to enjoy it though. I have to admit, there is a certain thrill to chasing a bird with a 900hp boat!

Being on that boat with rather big waves was like being on a roller coaster (you know the stomach lurching feeling). The waves virtually threw us up in the air so we could slap down on them again after a second or so. I'll tell you I was glad I took the offered anti-motion-sickness pills before we set off. I really enjoyed this, until my back begged me to make it stop.

So what about those seals? Well they were very smelly and noisy. Our guide told us that these were only males and at the moment were fighting for who would get the right to mate once the females return sometime later in the year. Honestly, to me those noises sounded more like they were already mating and not fighting for the right to.

Oh, the lunch was great by the way, awesome pumpkin soup!

I was tired on the the way back in the bus and nearly fell asleep, surely this is a good sign right?
Usually trips like this are a bit of a let down but not this time! I can only recommend these guys. If you go to Hobart, do a trip with them! http://www.pennicottjourneys.com.au/news.aspx

The Harbour where the ferry set off from.. just really liked the pic
Look at those boats.. don't they look like fun?
Don't be fooled by the sun and the smile.. it was freeeeeeeeezing. Sexy red though right?
Impressive if you ask me!
Maybe a little too much light but otherwise like the composition in this pic
Let's play a little game I like to call "spot the seal"
They are probably easier to spot in this pic.
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

smell you soon folks

No comments:

Post a Comment