Friday, May 6, 2011

Welcome to Alaska

I have arrived in Alaska.

Actually I arrived two days ago, but on the first and second day the weather was so bad that I didn't do much. Also I had trouble deciding where I should head on to from Anchorage. Therefore all I did was walk to downtown Anchorage (30 blocks).. in the rain.
Good times? .. meeh!

Later that day I arranged everything for a rental car. I had planned to do this a few days down the road but since my research was not good enough, I had to do it earlier. Gotta stay spontaneous ;). When I thought about what to do here, I thought that after 2 nights in Anchorage I would take the train to Seward. That didn't work out because the trains don't start until the 14th of May. Duh!

So I went to pick up the car this morning and because the weather suddenly got better and better, I set out for a little road trip. From Anchorage I drove 50 miles to Portage Glacier and back again. I was lucky enough to get better weather by the hour. I spent most of the day in the car but when I did get out to go for a wee walk, all I did was; look for bears :)). Hey I am swiss. I am not used to have animals around that can harm you. I didn't see any bears but I got some beautiful shots, and my friends. I sh*t you not when I tell you that this is only the beginning. Yes it was a drive with beautiful scenery but I know, this place has much more to offer. I can't wait!

Is there a downside to this whole Alaska thing? Yes indeed there is.
1. it's super cold. Like you can't imagine! I just spent the last 10 months having summer everywhere I went and now I come here and it's reaaaaally cold!
2. Wow is it expensive here! Why? Because there are not that many hostels and I have to stay at hotels instead. Food is also not that cheap but that I can live with. I will have to really watch my money.

I love this place though. I can't wait to see more. Hang in there and expect more updates than usual!

No comments:

Post a Comment