Thursday, May 19, 2011

The great Alaskan Road trip: Kenai Peninsula

After hours and hours of editing pictures (yes most was automated but still) I am finally here to do my next blogging. First as always in the last few days, a picture of where I went. I drove from Anchorage (A) to Seward (B) where I stayed for 3 nights. After that I drove on to Homer (C) where I will be spending my second night tonight.
my path in the last few days
Sadly after a few days with great weather, it got worse and worse the further south I drove. The last few days have been very cloudy and sprinkled with plenty of rain. Due to that fact I didn't do much in Seward. I drove to Exit Glacier and did a few small hikes but that was about as much exploring as I did. Still I had a few good days.

Funny little fact; the hostel in Seward is run by a Swiss family and the day before me another Swiss guy checked in. It felt like a little piece of Switzerland in the US of A. On my second morning in Seward I was standing in front of the hostel for a smoke and the owner came outside with a pair of binoculars. He asked me if I had seen a bear yet, which i told him, I hadn't. He gave them to me and pointed up the Mountain and sure enough, there was a black bear there. I can't believe how much wildlife I have seen since I arrived in Alaska.

I also enjoyed my stay in Seward because the hostel was full of travellers and we had good times exchanging stories. The other hostels in Alaska were mostly populated by old long term guests.. not exactly the most entertaining or talkative crowd.

I am not all that disappointed about the fact that Seward was not that exciting because it did give me time to get my resume up to date. I currently have it checked for errors, spelling mistakes and general flaws. I hope to have it back soon and shortly afterwards I will start to apply for jobs. I am still interested in taking a job outside of Switzerland but need somebody to translate my resume to English. Anybody know somebody that good give me a good price??

After those three nights in Seward I drove on to Homer. Another moose sighting, well two actually.. it's weird but it's already at the point where I am not very excited about this anymore. They are just everywhere. Although the weather won't permit me to see a lot around here, the glimpse I got promises a truly great view. see the panorama pic to see what I mean.

Tomorrow I will drive back to Anchorage where I will stay until I fly back to Vancouver on the 22nd. I am slowly but surly running out of money so I don't have much planned in the next few days. Lay low and save money is the Idea.

For Canada I have another trip ala Stray (NZ) planned. I will travel around western Canada with Moose Travel. It's also a hop on/hop off bus. Since i am also running out of time, I will probably not hop off that often though. Let's see.. for the same reasons my travel plans for the last few weeks of my trip have changed quite a bit.. more about that later though!

Have a good time all, enjoy the pictures and till soon


click me for panorama awesomeness

Homer Spit Harbour, I think Containers speak perfectly for a harbour pic

driving to east end

driving from east end

up close and personal with Exit Glacier

View from Exit Glacier

More Homer Spit

My first glimpse of the Kenai Peninsula

Seriously, shooting at signs is like a national pasttime up here.

Love this pic, what do you think?

House in Seward in front of Mt. Marathon

No comments:

Post a Comment