Sunday, March 6, 2011

It's getting colder

Hi all

As I keep heading south, it keeps getting colder and at the some time the scenery is getting more stunning. I sometimes just stare at the mountains! In the last few days I have made my way from Franz Josef to Makarora and on to Queenstown.

I was supposed to stay in Franz Josef for 4 days but decided to stay only 2 because the weather was not getting any better. I guess there is a reason why there is a rain forest at the foot of the Glacier. I travelled on to Makarora and stayed there for 3 nights instead. Was the weather much better? Not really. Actually it was colder. Did I enjoy it nonetheless? hell yeah!

Makarora is in the middle of nowhere. There is something that serves as shop, gas station, post office, restaurant and pub at the same time. There is a camping ground (serviced by that all in one shop) and a few huts serving as motel, hostel and hotel. That's it.. oh wait I forgot the Information Center for Mt. Aspiring National Park. So essentially there is nothing there. I loved it! Do you begin to see a pattern here?

On my second day there I was more or less the only guest. Sure a few people stopped at the restaurant to have a bite or to get some gas but beside that the place was deserted. I so(!!) wanted to stay there for longer! Since I moved my flights though I don't have the luxury to do such a thing. Do I regret moving the flights? maybe, but I had to make a decision and I made it.

I am currently in Queenstown where I will stay for four days. It's a beautiful place (pictures will follow) but it's not that great that I would want to stay for so long. I am staying because I am getting my birthday present delivered here. I bought myself an Ereader (kindle if you must know).. finally. Can't wait to get it! Yes it is my birthday on Monday.

Dear folks at home, sorry but I have no credit on my phone so I won't be able to receive calls. I get text msgs though.



On the 10th I will head further down south.. I am excited as can be because, if the north Island is beautiful, the south Island is just flabbergasting! Want to see more!

I don't have many pictures this time around cause the weather in Franz Josef was too bad to do anything and I went more for quality in Makarora than quantity.

thanks for stopping by, always appreciated!



On the morning we left Franz Josef the weather was clear for the first time since we got there. Sadly all I got was this snap shot from the hostel.
Mt. Aspiring National Park
More Mt. Aspiring National Park
Aaaand even more!

No comments:

Post a Comment