Monday, February 28, 2011

South Island

Greetings from Franz Josef

Since my last post on the blog I have made my way even further south. I spent the first day on the Bus from National Park to Wellington. On my one and only evening there I stocked up on some supplies (books, Deodorant etc.). I stayed there only one night because on my way back to Auckland I will have another stop there. Also have to mention that I went through the official Gum-boot Capitol of the world and we stopped to throw some gumboots, this was a rather interesting activity.

On the next morning I got on the ferry to take me to Picton on the South Island. Even the first glimpses of the south Island were stunning. After a 3 hour journey from Wellington to Picton, I jumped on the Stray Bus again. After a short drive we were in Marlborough doing a Wine tasting. The effect of this was rather interesting. Considering I hadn't had anything to eat yet that day, this wasn't really a surprise. Let's just say I spent the next couple of hours on the bus sleeping. We ended the days drive at Old Mcdonalds Farm at the Abel Tasman National park. Here I stayed for 3 Nights.

The Hostel was neither nice nor cheap but with the location they have and no real competition, I guess they can do whatever they want. The first day in Abel Tasman I spent mainly on a sailing boat and walking along the coast. It was a really nice day. A bit cold maybe (during the sailing anyway) but it's not getting warmer the further south I will get. This is really weird for me. I am used to the fact that it gets warmer the further south you get.

The next day was a day off. Doing nothing, in what really felt like a long way from everything. I ended the day with a few friends around a fire.. with wine... which got pretty merry.

From Abel Tasman I journeyed on to Barrytown. Now this my friends, is more Barry than town. There can't be more than about 100 people living there. We stayed at something that is Pub and Hostel at the same time. Beside that place there is one more Motel (why would they need 2?), a school and maybe 20 houses. That's it. Ate dinner, went to sleep, got up, took some pictures and on the road again. That was my Barrytown experience. I suspect we only stopped there because the drive to Franz Josef is a bit too long to do in one day.

Franz Josef is where I am at the moment. We arrived here earlier in the afternoon. The Town's name is the same as the famous Glacier's just up the Mountain. I was supposed to stay here for 4 nights but as soon as we got here I checked the weather forecast and due to bad weather in the next few days, decided to only stay 2. The plan is to walk to the Glacier and back. I thought about doing a heli-hike but 400$? nah not really.

From here I will go on to a place I can neither spell nor know why we go there. I will find out soon enough I guess.

Thanks for reading, till next time :)


Simon trying to through a gum-boot and failing.
Simon arriving on the south Island.
Simon enjoying sailing.
Simon enjoying fire and wine.
Abel Tasman is just as stunning as Tongariro but very very different.
Home is a far far way away.. and oh... surprised Zurich is on there.
The drive along the coast from Abel Tasman to Barry town was just absolutly stunning.
The famous pancake stones.
Hello there south Island. You are beautiful so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment