Friday, February 11, 2011

Orca's!!!!!

Hey all

I saw Orcas in the wild!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But let me start at the beginning. After my short trip to the very north of New Zealand we made our way back to Auckland where we stayed (with we I always mean the people on the Stray Bus BTW. [these keep changing all the time]) for one night. This must have been the scariest night of my life. I shared the room with one other guy. Nothing special about that yeah BUT.. this dude started laughing and talking to himself randomly all evening. I was really uncomfortable!

Next day we made our way to Hahei where we stayed on a camping ground. On our way there we stopped at a lookout above Auckland. Which happened to be a volcano. I then realized how many volcano's they have here.
In Hahei there is a superb scenic cove but sadly the walking path to it was closed. Only other option to get there, was with Kayak and seriously, I am not paying 85.- for a Kayak trip. TOO. MUCH! We also went to a beach that had hot spring, it was really funny to see the people dig a hole and sit in them. In the evening we had a group BBQ. Nice food and nice people --> great evening.

Next day we made our way to Raglan, which is the surf capital of New Zealand. When we got here, this dude ran to the bus and told us that orcas have been sighted. From what I got told they come here to feed on Manta ray's. I was very sceptical. I thought this was a scam to get the group to come on his "cool" boat trip. But because it was only 20 dollar and the alternative would have been waiting for the people on the boat, I agreed to go.

The first 1 1/2 hours we saw nothing and i was really getting upset about this whole thing and suddenly somebody shouts: "there they are".. and behold a group of 5 Orcas or so. Oh my god, what an experience to see these creatures in the wild! I am so glad I spent those 20 dollars. This must be one of the best experiences of my trip! Luckily I got a few good shots!

Right now I am in Raglan. I hopped of the bus to stay and surf for a few days. Let me tell you, the waves here are a complete different story to the one's in Australia. They are sooo strong and big! I have to fight just to get out to them without getting thrown back to the beach all the time. Today I also had the bad luck of pulling something in my leg. I can walk but it hurts. I hope it's better tomorrow morning. It would be a shame if I couldn't surf on my last day here.

On Sunday I will hop on the the stray bus again. I don't really know where it takes us next. I kinda like that. Usually I have to plan a bit ahead where I am going next and what I'll do there. I enjoy being able to sit on the bus and just see where it takes me next.

That's all for now, stay healthy n happy my friends.

No Comment
No Comment
No Comment
Skyline of Auckland, just behind Mt. Eden volcano
People sitting in hot spring pools they dug themselves
Coast just 5min from my Hostel in Raglan. Welcome to the centere of NZ surfing.
Fear my Foto skillz

No comments:

Post a Comment