Monday, March 14, 2011

Milford Sound to Mt. Cook

Hey there

I welcome you all to the newest edition of my blog straight from Mt. Cook Village. Sorry for the longer than usual wait for it. I think the pictures make the wait worth though!

Before I go any further: My thoughts are with the people of Japan.
What's going on in this part of the world? Seems at the moment like there is one disaster after another.

Since my last post I have left Queenstown to make my way a bit north and then back all the way south. Actually right to the most southern point of NZ. Why did we head north first? Because we went to Milford Sound.

Milford Sound is one of the absolute must see's in NZ. If you don't know what a sound is (I didn't) it's a Fjord. Or so I think. I must admit though that I enjoyed the road to Milford Sound better than Milford Sound itself. Probably cause the weather wasn't the best, but then Milford is one of the rainiest places in New Zealand. NZ just seems to get prettier by the day and little did I know then that it would get even better. This night we stayed at Gunn's Camp close to Milford Sound. Essentially it's a collection of huts in nowhere. Lonely planet describes it as "ultra rustic". I think there is no better description. As you probably already guessed, I really loved it. I spent the evening making fire and sitting in front of it reading.

The next day we headed down south to Invercargill. Stray comes here because the ferry for Steward Island leaves here. I would have loved to go there but because I had to stick around Queenstown longer than intended (waiting for the birthday present i bought myself) I didn't have the time. First time I regret that I decided to leave NZ earlier. But the decision had to be made and that's the way it is now.

From here we went on, along the south coast, towards Dunedin. Sadly this meant I had reached the furthest I would get in NZ. I was heading back up to Auckland. Just a few more days and I will have to leave this great country. Nothing much to say about Dunedin though. Well maybe a little something. From what I got told, there are lot's of Scottish descendants here and the city itself is fashioned after Edinburgh. Actually Dunedin is Edinburgh in Gaelic.. I have no Idea if that's true though. They have a few nice buildings that sets it apart from the other cities in NZ but I still think Queenstown is the best city I have been to here.

From Dunedin we headed straight on to Mt.Cook. I know Mountains from home but this place is absolutely breathtaking. From the moment I saw it, I couldn't take my eyes of it. I don't think the pictures do the mountain any justice. You have to come here and see for yourself! This must be one of the most beautiful things I have seen in my life! I was really lucky too because usually the mountain is shrouded in clouds, but the day we arrived the sky was as clear as can be.

That's all for now. Gotta go back to think about Fiji, Hawaii, Alaska and Canada. Much planning to do.

have a great day all!

Queenstown as seen from one of the mountains around it. Never have I been in a city with a mor beautiful surrounding.
Mirror Lake on the way to Milford Sound.
The road to Milford Sound.
Milford Sound. The weather was too bad to take better pictures.
Wildlife on the most southern tip of NZ.
Trainstation in Dunedin. I thought I would post a picture taken in a city between all the nature pictures.
Mt. Cook
Mt.Cook
Walking back to the village from Mt. Cook
Twilight view from the Hostel at Mt.Cook Village.

No comments:

Post a Comment