Sunday, March 20, 2011

Back on the north Island


I have to face the truth,.... my time in NZ has nearly come to an end. I leave with many many good memories

During the last few weeks I have seen absolutely stunning scenery and made many new friends. In just 4 days I will head on to new shores (Fiji) for more amazing adventures (I hope). I think it is only fair to say that the natural beauty of NZ was one of the highlights of so far. It's not really fair to compare because the places I have been are wildly different but still, I have never been so in awe in the last 9 months. I can't count how many times I found myself just staring at the landscape in front of me.

This is probably also a good moment to look back and do a little review of my stray bus experience. I have to say, all in all I am really happy I did it. If I would have not travelled NZ with stray, I think I would have missed many tucked away places. Although their claim to take people further of the beaten track is not really valid. No place that gets 5-6 buses a week is of he beaten track if you ask me. Still, if I would have travelled by myself, I would have missed many little gems.

Did I always enjoy having to get on that bus? No. Sometimes I just didn't feel like being just another guy on a bus full of people. On the other hand it was really great for meeting new people. I think I met many new friends that I will stay in contact with and hopefully see again somewhere someday.

There is also a big downside to travelling with Stray though. It's not easy to meet locals. Besides some of the drivers, I have hardly ever spoken with a local. This is a shame if you ask me. But then you can't have everything right?

All in all I would recommend Stray to anybody. If your 18-22 and your more interested in partying and hooking up, you should probably pick the Kiwi Experience bus....

I left the South Island yesterday and currently stay in Wellington. From there it will be a 12h marathon back up to Auckland (tomorrow). I did my first, last and only museum visit in NZ today. If you only have time for one museum in NZ, you shouldn't definitely go to "Te papa" here in Wellington. It is really really good. Of course I enjoyed the photography exhibition the most.. what else ehy? Before I went to the museum I watched some dragon boat races down at the harbor. To be honest, I only did that because I wanted to see if I can get a good picture or two.

Seems I am doing just that a lot lately. For example when I go hiking, I don't go because I enjoy walking, but because I am looking for a good picture. I am really getting into photography. Feels like this is going to be a serious hobby of mine in the future!

Besides those two activities today I spent most of my time today trying not to fall asleep (finding sleep in a dorm is not always easy... especially on a Saturday evening) and thinking about my future travels. I don't know why but I don't think much about Hawaii or Fiji. Fiji I got covered and Hawaii, well I'll see what happens. I am investing a lot of time thinking about Alaska and Canada though. At the moment it looks like I will be doing something like the stray bus in Canada, then take a cruise up the coast to Alaska and eventually take the train to cross Canada. There are many questions still unanswered though. How will my time table look? What do I want to see in Alaska? How much time do I want to spend there? Will I be able to afford all of these things etc etc.

I am probably over thinking things... ah well... you know it's how I do..

The next time you hear from me I will probably be in Fiji

cheers


ps: I have no idea how Internet is while I am doing Island hopping in Fiji, so this might be my last post for 2 weeks or so
pps: As I am so tired, forgive me for grave spelling mistakes, forgetting words, abrupt change of topic or pace ;)



Random pose in random chimney on the seaside in Kaikoura
By law you have to stay 20 meters away from them... ah yes....
row bitches... row!
I laughed!

No comments:

Post a Comment