Friday, April 29, 2011

Kaua'i

Aloha nr. 3

Today I am going to talk about Kauai and maybe a little bit about photography.

Last Sunday, Francis and me flew to Kauai. To explore and conquer! Have we explored? Yes, but we spent many hours on the beach as well. Have we conquered? Well, not really.

Kaua'i is called the "garden island" and it really is. Lush greens whereever you look! What I really like about this island, is the fact, that it is not as touristic as Maui or Oahu. Yes there is some tourism here, but you still get a sense of seeing things that not many people do. Again as on Maui, we rented a car. This time it had to be something that shouts "AMERICAAAAA" in your face. So we got a Ford Mustang. Wohoooo!

I have to admit that Francis and me have quite different opinions on what we want to see and do. While Francis enjoys the beach a lot and wants to do all kinds of stuff involving water, I am more about seeing the interior of the island and tend to avoid any stuff that has to do with water (No that doesn't mean I don't shower). Still with compromises (as a good Swiss should be able to make) we make it work. Usually we go see something for my taste and then spend the rest of the day at the beach. I don't know exactly how Francis feels but for me this works perfectly.

The thing that fascinated me the most so far, must be the Waimea Canyon. Considering the size of the island, this thing is huge! I couldn't get enough pictures. I posted a lot of them on the blog for your viewing pleasure. I know they are far from perfect but should give you some sense of what it meant to stand up on the ridge, looking down. I did see the Grand Canyon when I was younger but I was more impressed by this one.. maybe I don't remember the Grand Canyon that much?

Right now, the only thing left on the list that I really want to see, is, the Na'Palli Coastline. I wanted to do it today but for various reasons this didn't work out. I will try again tomorrow. It has to work out tomorrow because sadly we are leaving Kaua'i on Saturday and I am flying on to Vancouver on Sunday. I am staying in Vancouver for just one night before I head on to Anchorage Alaska.. yeah baby, so freakin excited!

I can't believe that my 3 weeks in Hawai'i are almost at an end. I am a bit sad because I didn't get around to see "big island". Oh well, that leaves something for next time. After more of a low key and relaxing visit in Fiji, Hawai'i was full of adventure and new experiences. The people I met here were so great and I think I have gained a few friends for life! Thank you my brazilian and american friends!

I know it's a long way from home my fellow Swiss people, but if you ever have the chance to travel to Hawai'i, do it!

Considering today's pictures;
I tried to do some basic post processing without spending to much time on each one. I know (again) there are quite a few things I should fix before putting them online but seriously, I just spent 2+ hours for this post and ran them through 3 different pieces of software. I think I am putting quite enough effort into this ;). I promise to edit the pics again when I am at home and if anyone is interested, I will put the best one's online.

hope you enjoy the pictures, didn't fall asleep while reading my thoughts, stay healthy!

I know, not really the wisest choice for a car buuuuuuuuuut it had to be!
Just a randome shot of the islands interior
North Shore
used to be in colour.. about as much post processing as it will get this week
cool driving along here.
Waimea Canyon!
Simon at Waimea Canyon.. ain't he a cool cat?
more Waimea Canyon
a tiny bit of the Na'Palli Coast. Bloody clouds were in the way!
Waimea Canyon the third.
A sunset is always worth a picture.
Today's adventure involved some sand, the ocean, a towel, a book and not much else.
Francis, doing what he likes to do best... doesn't he look happy? I think he does!

1 comment:

  1. Geils Auto, händ mir au gha i dä USA ;-)
    Und vor allem mega schöni Bilder wo da schüssisch, hoff machsch denn mal än Abig wo chli verzellsch und di schönste zeigsch, wär spannend. (Äfach nöd zwüsche Juli und ändi Sept., det bin ich sälber on the Road ;-)

    Gruess und witerhin vil Spass

    Tobi

    ReplyDelete